The War Memorial Hall was built in
1923 to commemorate the ‘village lads’ who lost their lives in
the first world war. The
Hall was built using money raised by public subscription to
provide a facility for the use of local residents.
In the early years the main activities were dances,
whist-drives and a film show twice a week.
In 1935 a refreshment room was
added and in the 1980s this was demolished to make way for a new
two storey extension. Over the years, as tastes and habits
have changed, the Hall has been used by many organisations for
coffee mornings, jumble sales, badminton and keep fit classes.
The Centenary Players, who are a village amateur dramatics group,
put on an annual pantomime and Bradwell Junior School use the main
hall for P.E. lessons. For the last few years the Junior
School has also been using the gallery room as a temporary
One of the longest running users of
the Hall is the Pre-school Group and the doctors from
Tideswell use the Hall as a local surgery. It is impossible
to record all the different types of events that the Hall has been
used for, but it certainly has been, and continues to be, a great
asset to the village. In the early 1980s more money was
raised to build an extension, consisting of a new kitchen,
toilets, meeting rooms and a rear entrance. In 2002, to
comply with current legislation, a special toilet for the disabled
and a loop sound system to assist those with hearing difficulties
Memorial Hall is now a registered charity (Charity Number 517226
and Date of Registration 1986-02-18
The Hall is used
for Village community Activities including Committee
Meetings, Fairs, Coffee Mornings, Pre-School, Junior School
Gym, Pantomimes, School Plays and Fund raising events.
Objects are: "The
Provision And Maintenance Of A Village Hall For The Use Of The
Inhabitants Of The Parish Of Bradwell Without Distinction Of
Political, Religious Or Other Opinions, Including Use For
Meetings, Lectures And Classes, And For Other Forms Of Recreation
And Leisure-Time Occupation, With The object Of Improving The
Conditions Of Life For The Said Inhabitants."